The Secret to Longevity - 9 Integral Habits and Personality Traits of Healthy People
“The ability of a physician to prevent illness is a greater proof of his skill than his ability to cure someone who is already ill.”
- Maimonides – 12th Century Sage, Philosopher, Talmudic Scholar and Physician.
Many people when asked what they value most in life will say: their Kids, Career, and their Security. Their lifestyle and actions will often reflect these values. However, often people realize their high value for Health only when their health is failing. Only then do they shift their lifestyle and actions accordingly. This is why it is critical for the future of medicine to transform from the current focus on treatment to the focus on disease prevention.
Disease prevention has been the focus of my research and practice for many years; more specifically breast cancer prevention. Yet, just like there are many common properties that help lower the risk of breast cancer, the same properties also apply to heart disease and many other chronic diseases that are so prevalent in our society today.
People who live long lives and remain relatively healthy into their old age have certain personality characteristics along with certain habits that they practice that help them maintain their health.
Here are the 9 common personality traits and habits of many who live past the ripe age of 100:
1. Being Extroverted – they are found of socializing, belong to many groups and are eager to help others.
2. Socially Connected – they maintain a circle of friends and family that provides them with support and fulfills their own sense of purpose.
3. Being Optimistic – they are happy and are easy to laugh; they are able to cope with stress and maintain a positive outlook on life
4. Emotionally Stable – they are not very neurotic, there are no major swings in their moods and that keeps their stress hormone (cortisol) levels low
People who maintain their health also exhibit common health habits through their life:
5. They maintain Proper Weight as excess weight taxes your cardiovascular system, affects your hormonal balance and increases your risk for cancer and diabetes. In many cases they are slightly underweight.
6. They are Conscientious of Their Food Intake and generally maintain a healthy diet with fiber rich foods, fresh fruits and vegetables and healthy fats. They maintain healthy bowel movements that help with detoxification. They usually do everything in moderation - no excessive drinking or food binging.
7. They are Physically Active people that maintain their muscle mass either by physical labor or by regular exercise. Physical activity naturally slows down the aging process, maintains healthy bone structure and boosts the immune system.
8. They Get Good Sleep and proper rest which is the foundation for keeping their immune system in top form. Early to bed and early to rise helps keep their melatonin level production at optimum thus contributing to rejuvenating rest.
9. They Avoid Pharmaceutical Drugs that at best mask the symptoms and at worst create additional problems with side effects. They prefer to resolve their health issues with natural medicine and a holistic approach.
Naturally, our genetic makeup, our belief system and our environment can affect our lives, our health, and our longevity. Nevertheless, we can greatly improve our chances of living a long and healthy life if we adopt some of the habits and characteristics of people who have succeeded in attaining longevity.
Please login first in order for you to submit comments